June 04, 2013, 11:21:39 AM
Much appreciated Tony and thank you.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bali GT fishing reports
December 09, 2013, 12:20:52 PM
This thread has been quiet for a long time!

Very little GT fishing happens in Bali in June, July, August and September as cold waters and big swells form the south dominate.

The new season is now well and truly underway though and going well.  A lot of friends have been over here fishing as well as a steady stream of Japanese and other anglers.

The following pics are a good representative selection of what has been happening on the Bali GT scene over the past two months.  Some fine fish and great times  :D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 12:24:46 PM
We do not get too much by-catch when GT fishing up here so these were of note:

And I absolutely love these brag mats which the boys from Ebbtide Adventures had made fro use on Adhek's boats. GTs being measured along a flat plane!

Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:19:34 PM by Mark Harris

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 07:05:03 PM
Nothing better than a visual report! Love the pics Mark and looks like the season has progressed well with quality fish. Also great to see plenty of new lure influence there!

And how is that black GT! Gotta be one of the darkest colourations going around!

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2013, 01:11:00 AM
Some Very Nice fish there Mark well done.
Love the Black GT also..

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 10, 2013, 08:02:36 PM
Thanks Andrew. Yeah a number of newish lures have been doing the business lately.  The larger BFP Swimbaits suit the washing machine conditions at Batu Abah - very effective.  Also Adhek's new Viking chugger is a star for sure.

Thanks Tony!

That is the blackest GT I have seen in person for sure.

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 11, 2013, 01:46:59 AM
Hi Mark,

I hear that batu abah has become protected area, fishing is not allowed anymore. Is this true?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 11, 2013, 12:09:17 PM
Hi Mark,

I hear that batu abah has become protected area, fishing is not allowed anymore. Is this true?

Hi David

That proposal has been made by the CTC (Coral Triangle Centre) yes. I believe it is yet to be ratified.

Personally I hope that it is, with some amendments allowing licensed operators only with a no take policy.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
December 11, 2013, 09:55:31 PM
Nice photographic update Mark, great to see.  It was great to get back for 4 days fishing with Adhek, we had an absolute ball and certainly had our chances, a variety of lures producing with a noticeable return to form for the chuggers!  are you going to post something on Adheks new boat/s?
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 11, 2013, 11:05:05 PM
Yeah John for sure. But let's wait for the latest one to be on the water first.

It will probably all coincide with a Komodo report :)

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 01:01:26 PM
Hi, Mark

That would be excellent, if batu abah can become restricted CnR fishing with some licensed ecofriendly fishing operators. Batu bolong and batu sepatu sometimes have  monster GT's too :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 01:44:31 PM
this fish was Batu Sepatu David:

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 01:47:57 PM
Seems all big GT's around Nusa Penida have at least 1 time sit on your lap :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 09:49:23 PM
Hi, Mark
That would be excellent, if batu abah can become restricted CnR fishing with some licensed ecofriendly fishing operators.

This is the hope David.

It is quite incredible really that Batu Abah has continued to produce great fish for 15-20 years now despite all the pressure and no formal protection.  It is only a 45 minute ride from a major world tourist destination but yet it continues to produce.

Imagine how good it would be if it was protected with the cowboy operators and the  spearfishermen (an increasing problem) kept out!!

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 11:29:16 PM
Hi, Mark

I agree. CnR sportfishing doesn't take the fish out, the number is still the same. Even if ones that hits popper don't want to bite popper anymore, no problem for the whole population.

Spearfishing is quite a problem. It finishes the population. The ones that hits popper maybe is only the hungry or angry ones, others won't bite popper
But with spearfishing they have no choice.
Whether the fish is full or not, little or big, anytime they are taken out of the water, especially the big ones.
The effect is already in place in padang bai area (pulau kambing, prasi). It's so hard to fish GT there nowdays. I heard that spearfishing finishes GT in padang bai area
Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:04:45 AM by david lumanauw