Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella SW review
March 14, 2009, 12:49:23 PM
I found this indepth review of the Stella SW, it also has a bit of Stella and Saltiga history mingled in which makes interesting reading.
 I can only put it up as a link:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=146973
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Stella SW review
March 14, 2009, 01:39:16 PM
greg thank,s for shaing  .  that was a good find ...

lot of good info there ..

he said better to have mono backing on the spool ???
i wonder do any one argee with him or not ??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 02:05:33 PM
I don't see any good reason whatsoever to have the mono backing.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Colin P

March 14, 2009, 06:22:36 PM
I don't see any good reason whatsoever to have the mono backing.

With you Brandon.

Here's a quote from a manufacturer of braided line -

Myth Busting:  The truth about line slipping on the spool etc.  

Many mistakenly believe that braided line will slip on the spool unless you take Draconian measures to prevent it.  Experience has clearly shown that putting on several layers of mono, Dacron or duct tape are totally unnecessary. This practice is not recommended to solve a problem that does not even exist.  Braided line grips the spool much like tread on a tire grips the road better than a smooth one with an infinitely small contact area. 

Before you start spooling, form a good knot, (such as the Berkley Trilene knot) cinch it tightly on one side of the spool leaving a long tag end to be laid across the arbor.  Spool the first full layer of braided line onto the spool in a close side-by-side fashion under tension of 6 or more pounds over the tag end.  If this is done, the line will not slip!  No exceptions have been reported but try pulling on it at this point if you have any doubts.  When convinced, you might tell a friend that it works. 

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:01:39 PM
I have seen it happened with TufLine XP which has somewhat " stick " together due to the coating become sticky after came in contact with saltwater and the owner of the reel did not tie the line a good knot when spooling the line and resulting when the GT strike , the spool stayed but the whole spool of line start revolving inside the spool . The remedy was easy , that night we just pull all the line out and respool using the same line , the next day it was working properly .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:18:56 PM
Jon, I've never seen this but I reckon it would be pretty funny!!   :D

I have seen it happened with TufLine XP which has somewhat " stick " together due to the coating become sticky after came in contact with saltwater and the owner of the reel did not tie the line a good knot when spooling the line and resulting when the GT strike , the spool stayed but the whole spool of line start revolving inside the spool . The remedy was easy , that night we just pull all the line out and respool using the same line , the next day it was working properly .

Jon .

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:34:00 PM
Brandon,

Only if it happened to someone else.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:44:34 PM
Hi Brandon ,

It's just a combination of Tuffline XP characteristic and the knot not tied properly but the guy had to use this thumb baitcaster style to apply the drag manually and he hasn't got 3 arms n hands to hold the rod n apply the drag as well as reel the line , in all it does not work . Not mentioning any name but the guy is an accomplished angler , you met him once at the NOMAD changeover last year .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 05:30:21 PM
Jon, I did four Nomad trips last year - which one?

Hi Brandon ,

It's just a combination of Tuffline XP characteristic and the knot not tied properly but the guy had to use this thumb baitcaster style to apply the drag manually and he hasn't got 3 arms n hands to hold the rod n apply the drag as well as reel the line , in all it does not work . Not mentioning any name but the guy is an accomplished angler , you met him once at the NOMAD changeover last year .

Jon . 

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 05:56:30 PM
Brandon ,

The trip you went with Malcolm n Chris , I think weather was not cooperating then .

Jon .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 07:45:27 PM
Jon - was it the guy who looked like he escaped from the Yakuza!? :D

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 07:52:34 PM
Not sure about Yakuza chasing him but possibly from the gangsters of Bangkok for too many one night stands with the Thai girls .  :P

Jon .   

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 10:57:44 PM
I know the guy!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 09:01:39 AM
Jon , you got me confused - you're actually referring to Ky? I thought you were referring to someone in the group after us at Bugatti. There was one chap who came out who had tattoos like a Yakuza