Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ok, I v'e been - seen -and kicked it's ass....   ;)

Wow- it is a big place with lots of sand and some pretty hard core 4WDn  but well worth the effort.

I went from Kingfisher Bay which is in the middle of the barge options, I checked out the Sandy Cape going up the beach from Eurong - a few Kms involved in this with 2 spots that if towing a trailer boat, would present a challenge. One is Indian Head the other is Ngkala rocks. Both are just very soft sand to get over which involves building up speed before entering the paths, the rocks are the trickiest and even the more experience 4WD bloke will get stuck thier, if it had rained then it was easy but it dries out fast and stepping out the car ( to dig yourself out) you sink into knee deep sand. I have it worked out if this was the chosen way to go but be under no illusions, it is a challenge. Going this way would be great because once round the rocks ( which I believe can be beach driven in a low tide) then it is beach freeway all the way to the top with very easy launching in good conditions. When I was their it was 1.5 metre swell with 20knt winds and just down from the camping spot was as flat as. Even negotiating the Break Sea would be possible - but preferably in better conditions. So given the choice this would be the best shot at spot X.

Option B would be to take the Boats to Hervey Bay, get their early and according to the locals, it (the bay)is flat 90% of the time, then launch the boats and get the cars and trailers onto the ferry to Moon Point and meet up at Whathumba which has great facilities and camping - heaps of mozzies apparently at times - not that we experienced that - but hey, with todays U beaut camping gear this is really not an issue. From here you could get up to the Break Sea - obviously further to travel on the water in the boats - check your Google Earth - but you would have many other fishing options as well as a chance at spot X. The advantage of this option is the calmer waters, protection from nasty winds and the good amenaties. Were as going to the top requires total self sufficiency as it is a semi remote area.

Fuel is available not to far from Whathumba (17 kms )on the Island with a limit of 50 Ltrs per vehicle -

Ferry cost $140.00 return per vehicle
Car permit is $ 36.00
Camping is $ 4.50 per night

GT of a lifetime - Priceless......

Sooooo who's up ah ? ....................

8)
Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:49:06 AM by Peter Lowe

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Thanks for your hard work Pete - those GTs are waiting to rough us all up.

Aaron Concord

Peter,

Note:The mouth of Whathumba Creek dries up TOTALLY at low tide on the big GT tides....
Therefore, getting boats in & out then also revolve around having 1/3 of the tide in and walking the boats into the area near the camp ground.
Beach launching on the southern side is a high tide option at best....it's a long way from the high tide mark to the low water mark too..so swimming is a necessity to retrieve boats left in the briny....
The northern bank is a far better camp site, though the cars can't bet there...the cars would need to be left on the southern bank to be able to go n get fuel from Orchid Beach on the other side of the Island....
Awesome spot to camp though the tides do have a say in when you may leave or enter the creek alone...
Awinya Creek to the south by 5km or so has a great camp spot...though no fuel....
Didn't understand if you knew that about Whathumba.....dredge anyone??

Aaron.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
maybe some one or two of 4wd ute will have to head up to top of frazer with fuel @ camping ..  and the rest might travel up with thier boat  and meet them up there at the top of the frazer  for more fuel ?? .. just a thought so how done that  sound aaron ??? . grin .

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Yes Aaron, I thought it would dry up just looking at it..... I guess the big thing I learnt from this is that you need a week for it to be worth while camping....

I thought of another option which is to Hire a 40 footer which are available from around 600 a night for a 6-8 berth then take the tinnies in tow up to Rooney point and use her a a base? You could take enough  fuel for  2-3 shots and would only need 3 days for it to be worthwhile.

Let us know how you go with your contacts Aaron - I will try to attend tomorrow and chat more then......

Some pics to follow....

The breaksea Spit

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Various Pics

The seas you see shows how it varies depending on your location - the Breaksea is a 5 minute drive from the light house - look at the difference.
Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:41:07 PM by Peter Lowe

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
so what is happening to this trip  ???  cos it stoped grin .. 

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
do you think it is a good fishing trip after the bad weather when they have passed ??? i know it has been a 6m wave on the frazer island  so do you think it will be good to go out when it calm down ??? just wondering ...

another question will the fish be so hungry due to the long bad weather that hold all the fish down ???

8th of jan is new moon . so i think better go before that ??
Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:26:07 PM by Mick

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
hey every one who is interested to fish with me it this sunday ??  pm me . cos i need three more fisherman to tag along .

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mick

Sorry I havent replied, I dont know what your plan is tomorrow but good luck - I would think based on all the conditions- tides, moon etc that it should fire......

Let us know how you go, I would love to have tagged along but as I am back too work next week and this weather has held up any chance of getting out I am wanting to do the family thing - read - not fishing.

All the best mate, please let us know the outcome.....

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
not going due to not enought gt fisherman so NO go damn it ... miss out but hope will go next feb . but let me know if you are very keen on then we can go .

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mick -

I'm thinking of heading up this week end for some land based action - you interested ?

8)

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
ahhh hi crazy pete ..  well i will let you know asap about that  8). yea  warming up sound good  ;) ::) ::). cos i maybe head down to nsw  :-X...

so where do you want to head to ?? pm if u have to shhhhh....

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Who would like to head out with me in 2 week time ???

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

It's on for sure,

We are going up to take on this challenge on the 28th December with a return of about the 4th January, we have the fuel worked out, we have 3 men and a boat and even the wifes permission, so with a willingness to take on the mighty sea's and GT's and the ability to get out their we are going...... will be a hoot and we cant wait.

8)