Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

It's on for sure,

We are going up to take on this challenge on the 28th December with a return of about the 4th January, we have the fuel worked out, we have 3 men and a boat and even the wifes permission, so with a willingness to take on the mighty sea's and GT's and the ability to get out their we are going...... will be a hoot and we cant wait.

8)

so do you know who have a boat to go out that way ??
and also do you need my truck to take more fuel at frazer ??
i will be happy to tag along so sent me a pm on detail,s wink .

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hey Mick,

We have the boat, its a 5.5 mtr Bluefin Escape, with a 115 E-tec, she has a standard range of 150km and we can take and extra 60 ltr on board giving another 70 +, it is a bit tight with 4 onboard all trying to do popper fishing but with experienced buddies its good. When 4 go out we take turns and I normally stay on watch and position the boat and anglers....seems to work well.

It would be good to have another boat and crew tag along, but as it was over the new year period we figured it would not work for others, so we are just going, enough talk time to get'em, new moon sensible tides and fingers crossed - good weather.

In saying that, if anyone else can make it feel free - its an open invitation to all GT Warriors.

8)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hey Pete - how did you go?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I've only just found this thread...if people are still interested to tee this up sometime then myself and my boat are in.  I have a troopcarrier also but would prefer the boating up to driving up option.  My available dates over the next few months are -

19-25th January
14-22nd Feb
14-22nd March
10-19th April

My boat takes 100 litres or so and 8 x 20 litre jerry cans spare is no problem.  Would take 8 more if people had them and they would be being stored on shore once we arrived at the camp. 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I've only just found this thread...if people are still interested to tee this up sometime then myself and my boat are in.  I have a troopcarrier also but would prefer the boating up to driving up option.  My available dates over the next few months are -

19-25th January
14-22nd Feb
14-22nd March
10-19th April

My boat takes 100 litres or so and 8 x 20 litre jerry cans spare is no problem.  Would take 8 more if people had them and they would be being stored on shore once we arrived at the camp. 

Hi Travis,

I may be going 23 - 27th to hit the new moon but would be available for any of those other dates if you are looking for others to share.

If I drive up I could bring more jerry cans.

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

Hi Luke,

Mate we got up to the GT bommie and can now say I have been their, took just over a year to make it happen but now I have seen the possibilities.

WOW what a place, all this hard bottom and reef in the middle of no where..... it was said before but I can now see that you would need some good run in the tides to fire the place up, we managed a few little fellows around the 7-15kg class and I did manage one nice strike from a larger GT but failed to connect. Our day their was little run, last wednesday, and they just wernt very keen. Lots of follows by packs of 5-8 smaller GT's which looks so cool in the crystal clear water of 28c. The Break sea spit was flat on the day we went but the 20 mn trip up was rough, averaged 16 knots so its a long way. We were told by a bloke in a 37 foot mustang that he had his boat near verticle coming across only the day before so the lesson their for all the kids is go up, as it is awesome, but realise your limits and be prepared to not get a shot at the bommie. We were their for 61/2 days and got one chance, the rough water / wind chop limited us in our boat. We did pull out other gear and catch a 7kg Diamond Trevally which was cool, got smoked by the rat GTs on the light gear a few times and saw all these big weird fish mooching around on the surface that we could'nt interest.

One thing I wouldnt want to do is fall in or go snorkelling, I was geared up, after popping for 4 hours, with the snorkelling gear to get a better understanding of the structure when a seriously big bull shark turned up to terrify any fish it could, no doubt it would have taken a chunk if it could have, he was quite agressive.

Back in around Roonies and station Hill was loaded with spotties,tuna and Goldens busting up so we mainly played with them, lots of fun indeed.

All in all it was a great week up at the creek, lots of new ground discovered,and we met some great people along the way. We will be back......

As for that 70, he's out their, my name is on him, and I am going to have to keep trying / dreaming.........

Cheers

Peter

8)

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

19-25th January
14-22nd Feb
14-22nd March
10-19th April

Hi Travis,

I may be going 23 - 27th to hit the new moon but would be available for any of those other dates if you are looking for others to share.

If I drive up I could bring more jerry cans.

sound good maybe i can tag along if crazy pete go so i can steal his 70keys  :D :D

maybe we could get a group together to go .

as i have been looking around a bit .
thought maybe we can use this boat as a mother ship and take our own boat would be easyer i think .

check the picture . but it,s a whale watcher boat which it is not like the nomad mother ship so i think we have to sleep on the floor not sure yet .
i will try and get more info about it . cheer,s

mick
Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:03:49 PM by Mick Cunningham

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Hi Luke,

Mate we got up to the GT bommie and can now say I have been their, took just over a year to make it happen but now I have seen the possibilities.

WOW what a place, all this hard bottom and reef in the middle of no where..... it was said before but I can now see that you would need some good run in the tides to fire the place up, we managed a few little fellows around the 7-15kg class and I did manage one nice strike from a larger GT but failed to connect. Our day their was little run, last wednesday, and they just wernt very keen. Lots of follows by packs of 5-8 smaller GT's which looks so cool in the crystal clear water of 28c. The Break sea spit was flat on the day we went but the 20 mn trip up was rough, averaged 16 knots so its a long way. We were told by a bloke in a 37 foot mustang that he had his boat near verticle coming across only the day before so the lesson their for all the kids is go up, as it is awesome, but realise your limits and be prepared to not get a shot at the bommie. We were their for 61/2 days and got one chance, the rough water / wind chop limited us in our boat. We did pull out other gear and catch a 7kg Diamond Trevally which was cool, got smoked by the rat GTs on the light gear a few times and saw all these big weird fish mooching around on the surface that we could'nt interest.

One thing I wouldnt want to do is fall in or go snorkelling, I was geared up, after popping for 4 hours, with the snorkelling gear to get a better understanding of the structure when a seriously big bull shark turned up to terrify any fish it could, no doubt it would have taken a chunk if it could have, he was quite agressive.

Back in around Roonies and station Hill was loaded with spotties,tuna and Goldens busting up so we mainly played with them, lots of fun indeed.

All in all it was a great week up at the creek, lots of new ground discovered,and we met some great people along the way. We will be back......

As for that 70, he's out their, my name is on him, and I am going to have to keep trying / dreaming.........

Cheers

Peter

8)

Good to see you got up to the spit and back - safely. Too bad the big boys didn't want to come and play.

Peter you're a braver soul than I if you were thinking about snorkeling there. I know Tim Baker has done it, but he's crazy. There are packs of sharks there that would rip anything apart in minutes.

I put some pics up of a jigging trip not 5nm away from the spit. As you can see, not much left..

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Looks like I will be fishing the Bommie for sure over Sat, Sun and Monday. Leave for HB on Wednesday night. I'll be driving up so if anybody wants to catch up along the way - give me a bell (0414 241 971)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Looks like I will be fishing the Bommie for sure over Sat, Sun and Monday. Leave for HB on Wednesday night. I'll be driving up so if anybody wants to catch up along the way - give me a bell (0414 241 971)

Good luck Luke, can't wait for the report :)

Ivan Verhage

hi guys

ill be going up that way on the 19 to the 24th
if the weater is any good i will defernetley give the cape a shot

luke, what size boat are you going with?

if the weater is not so good i might give travally ally or the picnic islands a go

cheers ivan

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
hi guys

ill be going up that way on the 19 to the 24th
if the weater is any good i will defernetley give the cape a shot

luke, what size boat are you going with?

if the weater is not so good i might give travally ally or the picnic islands a go

cheers ivan

At this stage I will be up mid/afternoon Thursday. We will be fishing in 34 Kev Cat.

Keep fingers crossed that the weather plays nice  ;D